|Short description:||NFER's "Primary French in the Balance"|
|Medium description:||National Foundation for Educational Research member, Dr Clare Burstall's "Primary French in the Balance". A report on the Pilot Scheme.|
Attempted to answer a number of questions about the Pilot Scheme:
- does starting French at 8 produce better results than starting at 11? No, except in listening comprehension, pronunciation and in a positive attitude to speaking the language.
- does the introduction of French in the primary curriculum adversely affect other educational development?
- are there ability levels below which the introduction of French is pointless?
- what mathods and approaches produce the best results?
- what organisational problems arise form the early introduction of French?
[month from Hawkins p.185]